Thursday, July 8, 2010

TiM Farewell

Farewell Letter from Pastor Emmy

When my time began here, many of you said two years would go by quickly. I didn’t believe you, but you were right. These past two years have been filled with learning and growing. You warmly welcomed me and encouraged me during my time in your midst. At a recent retreat, a presenter invited our group to think about experiences using our five senses. As I prepare to leave Trinity Lutheran Church, here are some of sights, sounds, smells, feels and tastes I will carry with me.

Trinity Lutheran Church…
• looks like sleepy 6th-8th graders tromping into the building on dark Wednesday mornings for release time, an overflowing sanctuary on Christmas Eve, hands creating quilts and small groups of people gathered together in a variety of places throughout the week.
• sounds like children in the daycare playing, the buzz of caring conversation, laughter, organ music, the Worship, Too! Band with saxophone riffs and two-hundred people praying the Lord’s Prayer in unison.
• smells like Easter Lilies, coffee brewing, 9th graders piled in a bus on the way to Camp Emmaus, fresh winter breezes and warm summer sunshine.
feels like solid handshakes, caring hugs, tears of compassion, soft prayer shawls and baptismal water droplets.
• tastes like Music on the Blacktop ice-cream with many toppings, open faced cheez-whiz sandwiches with a green olive in the middle, Wednesday night pizza with youth and Sunday morning bread & wine.

Through you, the people of Trinity Lutheran Church, I experienced Christian community in new ways. You make the good news of Jesus Christ come alive in vibrant, life giving ways. Words of thanksgiving fall short in expressing my gratitude for the time I have shared in this community. I can simply say - what a joy it’s been to share life with you! I wrap up my time as your pastor in the middle of July. Later this summer, I will begin sharing in ministry with Our Savior’s Lutheran Church in Valley City, ND as an associate pastor. In these bittersweet days, I give thanks for my time with you and look forward to engaging in mission with a new community, knowing that my experiences created a solid foundation for me as I continue in ministry.

Pastor Emmy

No comments:

Post a Comment