Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Be Mutually Encouraged

Today's blog is submitted by Jana Peterson, Trinity Lutheran Church's Volunteer Coordinator.

Join Ladies Aide? Me? I’m really not much of a lady – more like a crazed mother with four (five if you include my husband) teenagers in the house. Why would I join another organization with more commitments and worst of all MEETINGS?

I pondered this question shortly after Dorothy Schmidt invited me to join her TLCW circle. With some apprehension, I attended my first “circle” in the fall of 2006.

Lutheran women have been going to circle for generations. I remember my own mom participating in Mission Circle and then, as she became older, Esther Circle. Many of us have heard someone say “I have circle tomorrow morning,” “I have circle at my house this month,” and “our circle is collecting items for midwifery kits.”

But what is a circle?

We all know a circle is a round geometric shape. Why call a group of church women a circle?
Mr. Webster helps out and gives this definition: “a group of persons sharing a common interest or revolving about a common center.” What a perfect description! Women gathering to share their love of a common interest and centering on Jesus Christ.

Circles come with names. Rebecca, Naomi, Ruth, Deborah, Anna, Mary, Sarah are women of the Bible honored by Trinity Women to name a particular circle. Trinity circles range in size from nine to twenty women. They meet in the morning, afternoon, and evening on three different days during the second week of the month. They meet in member’s homes or Trinity.

This past month I hosted circle at my house. It was a beautiful September morning when the members of Naomi Circle arrived at my home. Hugs were abundant as circle members greeted one another after a summer spent at lake homes and visiting families. As we drank coffee and ate a light brunch, we discussed the start of school, the frustration of road construction in Moorhead, and caught up on the welfare of fellow Trinity members.

The sun warmed us as we began our study of Paul’s letters to the Romans. (The Bible study is lead by a member of the circle. The lessons come from the Lutheran Woman Today magazine.) We journeyed through Rome, Corinth, Thessalonica, and Galatia. We discussed the history of Paul’s letters and how they are relevant today. We closed our study with a prayer, standing in a circle holding hands with the person next to us with Christ in the middle.

A short meeting was held after the Bible study. We discussed the upcoming bazaar at the Moorhead Center Mall to be held in November. The bazaar is the major fundraiser for Trinity Women. The money made at the bazaar is used to give students money to attend Concordia, help charities in the community and pay for TLCW’s small operating budget. We ended the morning with good wishes and mutual encouragement.

Circles may be the oldest small group at Trinity. Over the years circle members have supported each other through good times and bad. Every month the Fargo Forum publishes an entire page of support groups available to those in the Fargo Moorhead area. The groups meet on a regular basis to help each other share ideas and coping skills to handle a disease or difficult situation in their life. Circles do the same thing.

As one of the younger circle members I have much to learn from the older members. Many of their lives have been touched by sadness through the loss of a spouse, mother, father, or child. I have learned from their experiences. I often ponder how they can still be smiling after all they have endured. I can take from them the hope that comes from watching someone survive something so sad. Hopefully the younger members of the circles give the older women energy and the promise that the work of the circles will continue.

Circles are a part of TLCW – Trinity Lutheran Church Women. This organization meets four Saturday morning a year. The gatherings are usually held in the CLC. The morning includes special music and a guest speaker. Items for Lutheran World Relief kits are collected at the meetings. The first meeting this year will be on October 24th starting at 9:30 a.m. Pastor Laurie Natwick, Assistant to the Bishop ELCA NW MN Synod will be the speaker.

All women of Trinity belong to TLCW. Your level of involvement is up to you. I encourage you to become involved.

Ladies Aide. It may have changed names to fit the times but the spirit of its mission is the same. I am certainly no lady. I love sports, prefer slacks to dresses, and don’t wear a hat to church but I treasure Ladies Aide. It is my time to experience the word of the Lord with my circle of friends and find support in all life has to offer.

If you would like to join a circle, contact Arlene Regelstad, TLCW’ circle organizer, at 233-4879 or amreg@juno.com.

Come – be mutually encouraged.

No comments:

Post a Comment