Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Pastor Marsha at the Churchwide Assembly

Trinity's three TiM pastors continue to represent TLC at the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America's Churchwide Assembly in Minneapolis. Today's update is from Pastor Marsha Anderson, who is one of six pastors at Trinity.

This week, we're getting a first-hand look at what our Evangelical Lutheran Church in America looks like.

The church is congregations...synods...regions...seminaries...the Churchwide office...international disaster response...hunger-fighting ministries...ministries for children, youth, young adults, seniors, small groups...etc etc etc. The church is LOTS and LOTS of different things, and it is, honestly, amazing to hear about all of these different aspects of our life together.

But really, for me, what is most important about the church is WHO I see when I walk around here at the Churchwide Assembly.

As I've wandered around the convention center between sessions or gazed around the worship space during hymns, I've seen...

-a member of Holy Trinity Lutheran Church, in Raleigh, NC, who I remember from being a very small child. Her husband played Dietrich Bonhoeffer in a play our church put on, and I remember watching the play as a youngster (quite bored, really), from the balcony

-a guy who played the guitar at youth retreats I attended in high school, who I always looked up to as being a cool, fun guy who was all about Jesus

-the computer tech from the seminary I attended, who helped me get rid of the pop-up ads that had taken over my laptop

-the Dean of the my seminary, with whom I travelled to Geneva one January term - a professor who helped me appreciate ecumenism, and who also knew how to kick-back and have a great time in conversation with students.

-my internship supervisor, who taught me so much about becoming a pastor, and who introduced me to ideas about community organizing that have shaped my ministry and my life

-friends and colleagues in ministry with whom I can talk about church, God, and life

For me, THAT is what the church is - the people we encounter along the way who shape us, who make us who we are, who get us through each day, and who help us see God in the midst of everyday life.

Yes, the church is made up of programs and buildings and institutions...but what I care about most when I come to an event like this is making connections with these people, and renewing my appreciation for all of us at Trinity, who ARE church together by simply being in relationship with one another.

The church really IS the PEOPLE! And it's amazing to be able to gather with so many of them at one time, every couple of years.

The Churchwide Assembly features an extensive array of sessions and events and full coverage including, among other things, live blogs, streaming video, twitter updates and facebook group updates, which can be found at http://www.elca.org/Who-We-Are/Our-Three-Expressions/Churchwide-Organization/Office-of-the-Secretary/ELCA-Governance/Churchwide-Assembly.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment